Monday, December 4, 2006

The Javalenas are driving me crazy


Okay, the family (I have counted four so far) of Javalenas (wild pigs) that have been living on our f arm, @ night, are beginning to drive me crazy. First of all, they hide in the trees/bushes (near our side pasture), but I hear them rustling around in there. And, when they come out, they run so fast past me, that they are a big blur.

These animals can be very nasty, so you have to be careful with them. I understand that they are also on the trails, in South Mountain, which I hike all the time, but haven't come across them yet.
I can always tell when they are on the property, our horses go to the back of the pastures, to avoid these beasts. They run around the farm, knocking over all of our cans, which are supposed to be animal-proof, with feed. The last straw was when they knocked over, for the 12th time, the pot-bellied pigs food, and ate it all. I know they are hungry, as well, but geez, leave some for the pot-bellies, at least.


I had to purchase 3 new bags, of the Pot-Bellied pig food, but this time, I put the can on carport. Now, if I can get the pot-bellies to leave it alone, I will be happy.


Each morning, when I go out very early, to feed the animals, I have to pick up after the messy critters. It was near freezy, the other morning, that I read in the newspaper, that it was the coldest it has been, here in Phoenix area, since 2003. And, let me tell you, it was so cold, that I had to use a knife to break a thick layer of ice on the horses water troughs, and the dogs. When I went to turn on the water, for one of the pasture water troughs, it was frozen, so they had to wait until it warmed up, to get water out.


I was wearing normal riding gloves, which do no good, in the freezing weather. In fact, my fingers were so frozen, that I had to run into the house to use warm water, to get them unfrozen. My fingers, of course, after warming up, begin tingling.


Well, that's my farm story, for now. I will post our family pictures, of all the animals, very soon.
Please note: The picture of the Javalenas (above) are not from our farm. I haven't been able to convince them, yet, to stand still.

No comments: